LIFE ZEOWINE is a demonstration project funded by the European Community, which aims to improve the protection and management of the soil, the well-being of the vineand the quality of grapes and wine, through the soil application of “ZEOWINE” an innovative product deriving from the composting of wastes from the wine production chain and zeolite.
Starting from the results of previous experimentations, which aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of the application of zeolite and compost in a separate way in other productive chains, we proceed with the intention of applying, for the first time, either on a new vineyard plant and in productive vineyards, the ZEOWINE product, with effects in terms of performance in soil management and in soil and plant biodiversity.
The synergy of the positive effects of ZEOWINE on the soil and on the plant is demonstrated by the improvement of nutritional and water efficiency, the reduction of the need for fertilizer supply, the closure of the production cycle of the waste material from the supply chain and the improvement of the quality of the wines produced.
The LIFE ZEOWINE Project will be developed in:
- 3 implementation actions for the definition and implementation ofcomposting protocols for viticulture supply chain waste and zeolite and thenthe application protocols of the ZEOWINE product on new plant and on vineplants in production. We will therefore proceed in implementing:
- COMPOSTING PROCESS OF VINE WASTES ANDZEOLITE: actionthrough which the composting process of pomace and stalks with the zeolite willbe carried out, in order to obtain an innovative product, ZEOWINE, which insubsequent actions will be applied to vineyards. The action allows thedefinition and demonstration of the conditions and methods of realization ofthe ZEOWINE product itself, creating a “Technical report on the compostingprocess for the production of ZEOWINE”. The report shall contain informationabout: procedures for treating vine wastes, procedures for mixing wastes andzeolite, conditions for managing and maintaining composting, criteria forassessing the quality of the final product produced;
- DEMONSTRATION OF THE APPLICATION OF ZEOWINE ON A NEW VINEYARD IMPLANT: the action is necessary to demonstrate the effectiveness of ZEOWINE inplant fertilization, compared to the separate application of zeolite alone andany compost currently on the market;
- DEMONSTRATION OF THE APPLICATION OF ZEOWINE ON VINEYARD IN PRODUCTION: the action is necessary to prove that the synergy of the positiveeffects on soil and plants is found in the improvement of the characteristicsof the grapes and the wines produced, which will preserve mostly its fruity and vegetable aromas, and will increase the polyphenolic and antioxidant outfit;and demonstrating also that the production of ZEOWINE starting from wineprocessing waste is a solution to the problem of waste management, closing the loop of the production cycle.
– 3 actions for the complete study of impacts environmental, productive and socio-economic impacts
The expected results of the ZEOWINE Project will be evaluated through:
- Development of 3 demonstration cycles of application of the ZEOWINE product in the wine productive chain, with reference to the following parameters: Production of approximately 140 t of ZEOWINE.
- Testing and demonstration of the effectiveness and feasibility of these strategies: application of ZEOWINE on 0.35 ha of new vineyard plant and on 3.5 ha of vineyard in production;
Considering a single application of ZEOWINE at a dose of 30 t / ha, the project will demonstrate the effectiveness in the IMPROVEMENT OF SOIL QUALITY of its application to the vines in terms of:
- CONTENT OF ORGANIC SUBSTANCE: thecomposting and application phase of the product itself contributes toincreasing the ability to fix and maintain the reserve of nutritive elements(nitrogen and potassium) and of organic substance in the soil.
- BIODIVERSITY: in terms of enzymatic activitiesrelated to the nutrient cycle, microbial and soil fauna abundance. Theestimated variations indicate an increase of about 25% in enzymatic activities.
- INCREASE OF ZEOWINE WATER RETENTIONCAPACITY: for each 1 ha of land treated with ZEOWINE, an increase in the waterreserve of 8.3 m3 of water is expected.
- SOIL STRUCTURE: the average diameter ofthe stable aggregates in water of the vineyard will pass from 0.5 to 1-1.2 mm.
- REDUCTION OF BIOAVAILABLE COPPER CONTENT:bioavailable copper will increase from 15 to 10.5 mgCu / kg.
- IMPACT ON GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS GENERATED BY SPECIFIC AGRICULTURAL ACTIVITIES: reducing the need for fertilization, increasing the water retention capacity of the soil, and reducing the number of soil fertilization processes with consequent reductionof emissions linked to the use of agricultural machinery. The total reductionin greenhouse gas emissions expected is around 18.48 t / ha of CO2 per year.
- Qualitative improvement of the finalproductions of the viticulture supply chain through an INCREASE OF THE APA CONTENT IN GRAPES of about 50 mg / L, this increase determines a better courseof the alcoholic fermentation and a more complete aromatic outfit of grapes.
- Dissemination of the use of the ZEOWINE product,through training interventions for professional operators; increase in thenumber of companies that will implement the use of the product.